Salesforce has a function for displaying a value from a master record that is based on values from a detail record. Take note that the function operates on a master-detail relationship. This function is called “roll up summary field”.
The summary can give you different types of calculations. It can show you the number of detail records in relation to a master record. You may also calculate the maximum value, minimum value or the sum of a field on a particular set of detail records.
User Permissions Needed for the Summary Field Function
For viewing summary field definitions, permission to view configuration and set up is needed. For editing, the “Customize Application” permission is needed.
Defining a Summary Field (Roll Up)
Steps for the defining the summary field are as follow:
- Create a customized field on a particular object. This object is where the field will be displayed. This object is the side of the master in the master-detail relationship.
- Click “Next” on the field for “Roll Up Summary”.
- Click a label and other necessary attributes. Then click “Next”.
- Select an object to represent the detail side of the relationship. This “object” is the one that contains the values that you need to be summarized.
- Select the summary type. You will choose one of these types – SUM, MIN, MAX or COUNT.
- Choose the appropriate filter criteria. This allows you to filter the records, so that records that are irrelevant will not be included in the calculations.
- Click “Next”.
- Then choose your security type. This specifies the profiles or users who are allowed to see results.
- Click “Next”.
- Select your preferred page layout where you want the field to be displayed.
- Click the “Save” button if you are done and no longer need to customize another field. If another one needs to be set, click the “Save and New” button and repeat the process.